AIRCAST XP WALKER
Using offshore capabilities for significant cost savings.
Demand was mounting for the next generation of Aircast’s pneumatic walking braces. However, the company was faced with the challenge of raising the styling and function standards while adhering to strict cost guidelines. Having successfully worked with PTA Plastics on the original line of walking casts, Aircast once again turned to us for engineering and production help.
Aircast pioneered the functional management of ankle and foot injuries with off-the-shelf below-the-knee casts. The XP Walker, which is produced in three sizes, provides consistent, uninterrupted compression to treat lower leg injuries in a seamless semi-rigid shell with a rocker sole.
Solutions provider, not a parts supplier.
- PTA Plastics was able to stay within Aircast’s budget and still provide exceptional manufacturing support by using a combination of domestic and offshore capabilities.
- Because of the XP Walker's large size and complexity, tooling for the product was extremely labor intensive, making the program an excellent candidate for offshoring.
- The process started with our project managers in Oxford, CT, who conducted a thorough part design analysis. Not until all part designs passed inspection were plans sent to China.
- PTA Plastics’ offshore vendor produced the molds according to our specifications, maintaining constant communication throughout the entire process.
- Our engineers were also on-hand for the sample test runs and final mold approval. In addition, we supplied all sampling resin to assure material integrity.
- Once the samples met PTA Plastics’ approval, the molds were sent back to Connecticut for final sampling and part inspection before production.
- Aircast realized up to 40% net savings on tooling. By providing support all along the process, PTA Plastics demonstrated its engineering expertise and its versatility in containing costs.